COMO Castello Del Nero, Tuscany, is a 740-acre, historic estate in the world-famous Chianti wine region of Italy — and COMO’s first property in continental Europe. The Renaissance cities of Florence and Siena are both within a 30-minute drive. At the property’s heart stands a twelfth-century Castello featuring 50 rooms and suites with interiors by Milanese designer, Paola Navone. Navone has brought a light and modern ‘COMO’ aesthetic to complement and enhance the period architecture of the Castello, which sits in classic Tuscan landscaping. The Michelin-starred La Torre restaurant showcases gourmet Italian cuisine, using the finest Tuscan produce, much of it from our estate kitchen-garden, vineyard, beehives and olive groves. There are two informal restaurants, La Taverna and the Pavilion, as well as a wine cellar. In addition, there are tennis courts and a heated outdoor swimming pool. COMO Shambhala Retreat offers on set days complimentary yoga for residents, therapeutic massages and expert guidance in holistic wellness.
Check In: 2:00 PM
Check Out: 11:00 AM
Number of Rooms: 50
These airy 25 - 38sq m/ 269 - 409sq ft rooms are full of Tuscan charm, with original terracotta floors and high ceilings. Queen-size or twin beds are draped in Egyptian cotton, while the furnishings create a gentle counterpoint to the sunlight spilling through the windows. Views overlook the peaceful courtyard, dating back to the twelfth century, or formal Italian gardens.
These spacious 36 - 50sq m/ 388 - 539sq ft rooms overlook Tuscany’s rolling hills and feature queen-size or twin beds draped in Egyptian cotton. Cream furnishings give these rooms a soothing ambience, whilst the castle’s twelfth century origins are reflected in exposed wooden beams. The seating area is flooded with sunlight, spilling through double windows onto red terracotta tiles.
These ample 40 - 70sq m/ 430 - 646sq ft suites overlook the sun-drenched courtyard, Italian formal gardens, or rolling Tuscan hills. A separate living area with soft furnishings gives an elegant, pared-back space in which to unwind. The master bedroom is a cool-toned haven, with Egyptian cotton linens and an abundance of authentic Tuscan details. An airy bathroom is fitted with a shower and every modern convenience, including cotton bathrobes and COMO Shambhala’s award-winning amenities.
These spacious 55 - 81sq m/ 592 - 871sq ft split-level suites feature an airy living area on the lower floor and a master bedroom on the upper level. Extensive views overlook the formal gardens or the estate's Tuscan lakes. The cool-toned master bedroom is replete with queen-size bed and finest Egyptian cotton linens, providing a contemporary, peaceful retreat. In the generous bathroom, a freestanding bathtub is complemented by a separate shower and COMO Shambhala's award-winning amenities.
These outstanding 70 - 77sq m/ 753 - 829sq ft suites are filled with a sense of the castle's centuries-old history alongside contemporary comfort. Carefully preserved 18th-century frescoes line the walls and vaulted ceilings, rising high above the king- or queen-size bed, which is draped in finest Egyptian cotton. An original fireplace forms the centrepiece of the generous living room, where red terracotta flooring is offset by furniture in cool-tones. A large bathroom is replete with a freestanding bathtub, doubly vanity, and separate shower.
This spacious, 90sq m/ 968sq ft suite is located in the historic Belvedere section of the castle, with its magnificent entrance overlooking the Chianti hills and lakes. A master bedroom and second twin bedroom are complemented by a large living room. An abundance of natural light spills through large windows, whilst a shared terrace gives a more secluded area in which to enjoy uninterrupted views over the surrounding countryside. The two-bedroom, two-bathroom configuration makes this an ideal choice for families.
This expansive 90sq m/ 968sq ft suite represents the pinnacle of contemporary accommodation combined with a deep sense of history. Red terracotta tiles still bear traces of historic footfall, whilst pitched ceilings with exposed wooden beams rise high over the airy master bedroom and spacious separate living room. Muted, cool-toned furnishings provide a cocooning counterpoint to the abundance of natural light, whilst the suite's size makes this feel more like a private apartment than hotel room. An enormous terrace overlooks the surrounding countryside, offering panoramic views of the rolling hilltops and the estate's Tuscan lakes.
Complimentary shuttle service to/from Florence or Siena at scheduled days and hours. WIFI available on board.
La Taverna is situated in the castle’s original kitchen, dating back 900 years, when a small army of servants would have laboured to serve magnificent feasts to the noble Del Nero family.
Now, the atmosphere is comfortable and family-friendly, with a large, open fire giving the room a cosy glow in the winter months. The restaurant offers a selection of Tuscan signature dishes and pizzas made with fresh, local ingredients and an emphasis on simple dishes with excellent flavour. Our expert mixologists can prepare a range of enticing cocktails, whilst Champagne, reserve cognacs, grappas and whiskies are also available from the drinks menu in the lounge and bar.
La Torre is a Michelin-starred restaurant overseen by Executive Chef, Giovanni Luca Di Pirro. Dishes are made with the finest Tuscan ingredients, sourced from local farmers, or directly from the estate's organic garden. The cuisine showcases inventive Italian and seasonal inspiration, with an ever-changing menu ranging through spring's crisp greens and fragrant herbs, to autumn's rich truffles and wild boar. In summer, diners can choose to eat al fresco on the terrace, overlooking the verdant landscape and spectacular sunsets of Chianti. Reservations are required.
The Pavilion is open throughout the summer and offers all-day dining overlooking the spectacular hills, vineyards and olive groves that characterise Tuscany.
Menus feature Mediterranean cuisine as well as international favourites and COMO’s signature dishes.
The Chianti area in Tuscany is one of the most beautiful in the whole region, as well as the most well-known and appreciated by visitors from across the world. The borders of the Chianti region are not clearly defined but in general it extends over the provinces of Florence and Siena, covering all of the area between the two cities and extending to the east toward the Valdarno and to the west to the Val d'Elsa.
The Chianti wine area extends further beyond the two cities, all around Florence and even toward Arezzo, Pistoia and Montepulciano. You'll often find references to the "Florentine Chianti" and the "Sienese Chianti" to define the areas closest to one or the other city, but these often refer to a wine's origin within the Chianti region.
Chianti offers a unique landscape, with green, gentle hills covered with wide fields of vineyards and olive groves, small stone villages, characteristic parishes and countryside homes in stone. The Chianti landscapes are so beautiful and particular that they inspire many photographs which then become postcards and calendars distributed across the globe.
San Gimignano rises on a hill (334m high) dominating the Elsa Valley with its towers. Once the seat of a small Etruscan village of the Hellenistic period (200-300 BC) it began its life as a town in the 10th century taking its name from the Holy Bishop of Modena, St. Gimignano, who is said to have saved the village from the barbarian hordes. The town increased in wealth and developed greatly during the Middle Ages thanks to the "Via Francigena" the trading and pilgrim's route that crossed it. Such prosperity lead to the flourishing of works of art to adorn the churches and monasteries. In 1199 it became a free municipality and fought against the Bishops of Volterra and the surrounding municipalities. Due to internal power struggles it eventually divided into two factions one headed by the Ardinghelli family (Guelphs) and the other by the Salvucci family (Ghibellines). On the 8th May 1300 Dante Alighieri came to San Gimignano as the Ambassador of the Guelph League in Tuscany. In 1348 San Gimignano's population was drastically reduced by the Black Death Plague throwing the city into a serious crisis which eventually led to its submission to Florence in 1353. In the following centuries San Gimignano overcame its decline and isolation when its beauty and cultural importance together with its agricultural heritage were rediscovered. The construction of the towers dates back to the 11th and 13th centuries. The architecture of the city was influenced by Pisa, Siena and Florence. There are 14th century paintings of the Sienese School to be seen and 15th century paintings of the Florentine School.
Siena's cathedral, the Duomo, begun in the 12th century, is one of the great examples of Italian romanesque architecture. Its main façade was completed in 1380. It is unusual for a cathedral in that its axis runs north-south. This is because it was originally intended to be the largest cathedral in existence, with a north-south transept and an east-west aisle, as is usual. After the completion of the transept and the building of the east wall (which still exists and may be climbed by the public via an internal staircase) the money ran out and the rest of the cathedral was abandoned. Inside is the famous Gothic octagonal pulpit by Nicola Pisano (1266–1268) supported on lions, and the labyrinth inlaid in the flooring, traversed by penitents on their knees. Within the Sacristy are some perfectly preserved renaissance frescos by Ghirlandaio, and, beneath the Duomo, in the baptistry is the baptismal font with bas-reliefs by Donatello, Ghiberti, Jacopo della Quercia and other 15th century sculptors. The Museo dell'Opera del Duomo contains Duccio's famous Maestà (1308–1311) and various other works by Sienese masters. More Sienese paintings are to be found in the Pinacoteca.
The shell-shaped Piazza del Campo, the town square, which houses the Palazzo Pubblico and the Torre del Mangia, is another architectural treasure, and is famous for hosting the Palio horse race. The Palazzo Pubblico, itself a great work of architecture, houses yet another important art museum. Included within the museum is Ambrogio Lorenzetti's series of frescos on the good government and the results of good and bad government and also some of the finest frescoes of Simone Martini and Pietro Lorenzetti.
On the Piazza Salimbeni is the Palazzo Salimbeni, a notable building and also the medieval headquarters of Monte dei Paschi di Siena, one of the oldest banks in continuous existence and a major player in the Sienese economy.
Housed in the notable Gothic Palazzo Chigi on Via di Città is the Accademia Musicale Chigiana, Siena's conservatory of music.
Other churches in the city include:
[ Print Directions ]
Nearby airports: Firenze (Florence) [Peretola], Italy
Distance: 24 Miles
[ Print Directions ]
Nearby airports: Pisa [Galilei (San Giusto)], Italy
Distance: 53 Miles